On the site of the former Lewis Merthyr Colliery we tell the story of Black Gold and the social and historic impact upon the South Wales Valleys.
Welsh Mining Experience at the Rhondda Heritage Park is a MUST to add to your tour Itinerary, where visitors can enjoy a unique experience at an authentic coal mine in the South Wales Valleys. Come along and learn about the International story of Welsh coal and about the people who made it a global business.
A living testament to the coal-mining communities of the world famous Rhondda Valleys, the popular family tourist attraction offers a fascinating insight into the rich culture and character of the area.
Former miners, guide visitors on the Black Gold Experience, a 1 hour 30 minute journey around the colliery site. Nobody knows the coal industry better than our guides, and visitors will be enthralled at their tales of life underground – Black Gold Guided Tour Experience of the last remaining coal mine in the world-famous Rhondda Valley, including both the surface tour and underground experience.
- Black Gold Exhibition Area – celebrating the history of the Rhondda, its industrialists and the famous steam coal that was exported around the world.
- Court Yard – taking in the breath taking sights of the last historic Chimney Stack, a sight which once dominated the Rhondda Valley skyline, along with original drams and mining equipment.
- Visit the Trevor and Bertie Engine Houses and see the 150 year winding wheel still in operating, a testament to Victorian engineering complimented with new interactive audio video interpretations.
- The Lamp Room – where visitors collect their miner’s helmets, and descend on the underground experience to pit bottom.
- Fan House, home of our Miners Strike Banner Collection
The Black Gold Experience provides visitors with a valuable and memorable insight into life as a miner in the Rhondda Valleys and there is so much to see and do during your visit to Rhondda Heritage Park.
- Tours that last approximately 1 hour 30minutes but can be tailored to accommodate groups and their preferences. Tours can be offered outside of core opening hours upon request and subject to availability.
- Reduced Group Tour Prices
- One FREE tour place for the Group Leader
- One FREE tour place for the Coach Driver
- Maximum of 25 people per tour (for groups of more than 25 additional tours will be added)
- Ample Coach Parking
- Drop off point directly outside Visitors Centre
- On site Cafe
- On site gift shop
- FREE tea or coffee and a hot meal for the Coach Driver. (provided by a voucher redeemable at Caffe Bracchi)
- Please note however that due to the industrial nature of the underground experience it is not fully accessible to wheelchair users.
- Offers are available for group bookings, with enhanced discounts available based on numbers attending and time of year booking.
- Visitors Centre and Cafe can be opened outside of advertised opening hours with prior arrangement.
- DRAM The Immersive Cinematic Experience .
- New Chocolate House Experience and Craft of Hearts
Telephone: +44 (0) 14 4368 2036
Rhondda Heritage Park, Lewis Merthyr Colliery, Coed Cae Road
Trehafod, Rhondda CF37 2NP
Monday – Closed
Tuesday – 09:00am to 16:30pm
Wednesday – 09:00am to 16:30pm
Thursday – 09:00am to 16:30pm
Friday – 09:00am to 16:30pm
Saturday – 09:00am to 16:30pm
Sunday – Closed
Directions to the Venue by Road and Public Transport:
Follow the M4 to Junction 32 take the A470 to Pontypridd. Rhondda Heritage Park is clearly signposted from junction 32 and throughout Pontypridd.
Train – from Cardiff Central to Trehafod, +44 (0) 84 5748 4950
Bus – from Cardiff Central to Trehafod +44 (0) 87 1200 2233