Visit the ruined, medieval former residence of the Bishops of Llandaff.
Originally a small medieval fortress, it is thought that the palace was first built by William de Braose who became Bishop in 1266. The palace was abandoned as a residence following damage in the Owain Glyndwr rebellion of 1402-05, with the Bishops thereafter preferring their more secure dwelling at Mathern in Monmouthshire. Although the palace seems to have remained intact until at least 1601, it was probably destroyed during the English Civil War when many castles were similarly slighted by Parliamentarian forces.
The only substantial remains today are the impressive gatehouse, the rest of the site is now an ornamental park which was developed in the 1970’s.