What are you looking for?
Road Closures for the Cardiff Half Marathon on Sunday 1st October
Monday 11 September 2023 · Cardiff Council
With the Cardiff Half Marathon taking place on Sunday, October 1st, the city is expected to be exceptionally busy, so residents and visitors are advised to plan and leave plenty of time for their journey.
On Wednesday September 27th, the following road closures will be put in place at the Civic Centre to set up and dismantle the race village for the event.
From 5am on Wednesday, September 27th until just before midnight on Monday, October 2nd College Road will be closed from the junction with Museum Avenue to the junction with King Edward VII Avenue (Vehicle access to private parking and deliveries will be maintained until 9am on Saturday, September 30th)
From 5am on Thursday September 28th until just before midnight on Monday October 2nd Edward VII Avenue will be closed to the junction with Boulevard de Nantes and to the junction with City Hall Road.
From 5am on Friday September 29th until just before midnight on Sunday, October 1st the following roads will be closed:
- King Edward VII (Junction with Boulevard de Nantes to the junction with City Hall Road, and from the junction with Corbett Road to the junction with City Hall Road)
- Museum Avenue from the closed end with Corbett Road to the junction with Gorsedd Gardens Road
- Gorsedd Gardens Road, from the junction with Park Place to the junction with Museum Avenue
- City Hall Road from the junction with Museum Avenue to its junction with North Road.
Access will be permitted for private parking and deliveries until 9.00 a.m. Saturday 5th October. Access for emergency services will be permitted from North Road when the event takes place.
Between 4am and 12 noon on Sunday, October 1st, the following roads will be closed:
- North Road south of the junction with Boulevard de Nantes to the junction with the A4161
- A4161 from the junction with North Road to its junction with Kingsway,
- Kingsway from the junction with the A4161 to the junction with Duke Street
- Duke Street and Castle Street
- Cowbridge Road East from the junction with Castle Street to the junction with Cathedral Road.
Between 6am and 10.45am on Sunday October 1st, the following roads will be closed:
- North Road from the junction with Colum Road to the junction with Boulevard de Nantes (Access to Blackweir via Park Place/Corbett Road, northbound up North Road).
Between 10am and 3.10pm on Sunday October 1st, the following roads will be closed:
- Colum Road
- Park Place from the junction with St Andrews Place to the junction with Colum Road.
Access arrangements while the security measures are put in place for the event.
Access only into Beatty Avenue from the junction with Lake Road North (including Jellicoe Gardens, Keyes Avenue and Tyrwhitt Crescent)
Access to and from Queen Anne Square will be managed North Road / Corbett Road.
Lady Mary Road from the junction with Maryport Road to the junction with Lake Road East.
On Sunday, October 1st, there will be a rolling road closure from 8.30am until 3.10pm to facilitate the route on the following roads:
- Cowbridge Road East from the junction with Cathedral Road to the junction with Neville Street
- Wellington Street, Leckwith Road and Sloper Road
- Penarth Road, Cardiff Bay Barrage, Harbour Drive and Roald Dahl Plas
- Britannia Quay, Pierhead Street, Bute Place and Lloyd George Avenue
- Herbert Street, Tyndall Street, East Tyndall Street and Windsor Road
- Adam Street and Fitzalan Place going across Newport Road
- West Grove, Richmond Road and Albany Road
- Marlborough Road, Blenheim Road, Pen-Y-Lan Road and Ninian Road
- Fairoak Road, Lake Road East and Lake Road West – access to Cathays cemetery will be facilitated via Allensbank Road up until Fairoak Road opens, when access will be re-opened via the main entrance.
- Fairoak Road, Cathays Terrace, Corbett Road and Museum Avenue.
If the route is completed earlier, then these roads will be open before 3.10pm.
The bus gate on Westgate Street will be suspended for the duration of this event from 8.30am until 3.10pm on October 1st.