What are you looking for?
City of Arcades Day
A new and exclusive Cardiff-themed board game is launching this City of Arcades Day, showcasing the city’s seven historic arcades and landmarks.
On Saturday, November 18, a giant City of Arcades themed board game will appear in Central Square next to Cardiff Central Station.
From 10:30am-12:45pm and 2pm-4:30pm, visitors will have a chance to play the life-sized board game, passing go and avoiding jail, for a chance to win one of 60 discounts and prizes including the limited-edition City of Arcades board game.
Other prizes include bed and breakfast for two at Hotel Indigo, a spa package from Laguna Health & Spa and a £50 voucher for Bill’s Restaurant.
Alongside the life-sized board game, the city centre will be transformed into a playable experience with in-store games and a family-friendly trail.
Visitors are invited to pick up a City of Arcades Day playbook from the Guest Services Desk on the upper floor of St David’s Dewi Sant shopping centre and find all 14 game tiles located at landmarks across the city.
At each location players will have a question to solve before returning their playbooks to the St David’s Guest Services desk to redeem a bag of chocolate coins.
The returning City of Arcades Day event – organised by Cardiff’s Business Improvement District, FOR Cardiff – will also see over 100 events, discounts, and experiences across the city centre.
Events on the day include a sourdough pop-up with Pettigrew Bakeries, an oyster eating contest at Jackson’s and a comedy night at Beyond Retro hosted by Lorna Pritchard featuring Leroy Brito. Advance booking may be required.
Carolyn Brownell, Executive Director (Interim) of FOR Cardiff, said:
“Our award-winning annual celebration of our unique capital city and its iconic arcades is a moment in Cardiff’s event calendar, and this year it is particularly special with the creation of City of Arcades: The Game.
We can’t wait to welcome people to play the life-size game at Central Square, explore the arcades, and enjoy the range of events that are on offer across the city centre.”
To help visitors to travel to Cardiff for City of Arcades Day and during the festive season, FOR Cardiff have funded a Park and Ride service at County Hall (Cardiff Bay) to Canal Street (Cardiff city centre) on Saturdays from 18th November 18 until 23rd December.
The service will cost £4 per car and run from 9am until 7:30pm every 20 minutes with an additional bus between 12-5pm. Tickets are available for purchase on the day at County Hall.
Visit www.thecityofarcades.com view the full list of City of Arcades Day events, discounts and prizes.
- Sourdough demonstration and troubleshooting masterclasses with Pettigrew Bakeries at 11am, 1pm, 3pm
- Oyster eating contest at Jackson’s Seafood and Wine
- Beyond Retro comedy night, 7-9:30pm
- Customisation workshops at Lucy and Yak, 11am-12pm and 1pm-2pm
- Live Window painting by Sarah Millman at Bird and Blend Tea Co
- Champagne brunch with croque monsieur toasties, £15pp at Nighthawks
- Live jazz/folk duo to perform outside Gin and Juice in Castle Arcade, starting at 6.30pm
- Guided tours of the Old Library with live music performances by the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama
- Santa’s grotto at Morgan Arcade
- Night Market at Cardiff Market, Friday, November 17, 5pm-9pm
- City of Arcades walking tour – November 17, 4pm-6pm
- Dark Side of Cardiff walking tour – November 18, 5pm-7pm
- City of Arcades Tasting Tour, November 17 and 18, 11am-3.30pm
- Back of House Morgan Quarter Tour for CoA Day – 10am, 12pm and 2pm
- In-store cheese and charcuterie tasting at Wally’s Deli (Royal Arcade), Saturday, November 18, 10am – 4pm
- In-store sampling of spirits at Wally’s Liquor (Castle Arcade), November 18
- Free product making between 1pm-3pm in LUSH Spa Cardiff on November 18
- Spin the wheel prize giveaway at Pen and Paper in Royal Arcade
- Doctor Who filming locations tour by TV & Movie Store
- Buskers and DJs as Over Seas Apparel
- Snacks, refreshments, and a raffle at Sobey’s Vintage
- Product show case at A Welsh Secret
- Choir performance in Castle Arcade at 1pm
- Happy hour (5pm-7pm) with 2-for-1 cocktails at the Blue Bell
- Live music at 1pm and happy hour (5pm-7pm) with 2-for-1 cocktails at Brewhouse
- Happy hour available from 12pm-8pm at Retro
- Live jazz band, DJ and Christmas themed cocktail at Laguna Bar
- Happy hour (4pm-7pm) and live music (5pm-7pm) at the Philharmonic
- Free consultation and free 10-day foundation sample from MAC at John Lewis & Partners Cardiff
- Free seasonal cocktail with a purchase from A La Carte Menu at Cote Brasserie Cardiff Central
- 20% off all treatments at Nailcraft Emporium in Wyndham Arcade
- Buy an Open Sandwich and get one half price at Wally’s Deli in Royal Arcade
- 10% off at Wally’s Liquor in Castle Arcade
- Free coffee or Bucks Fizz with your cooked breakfast between 8am-10am at Asador 44
- Get a free book when you purchase a Rama 44 tin of olive oil for £15 from Bar 44
- 10% off all accommodation at Hotel Indigo in Dominion Arcade
- 2 matching cocktails for £12 at Chance and Counters
- Free ‘Knockout’ mystery box worth £9.99 containing £25+ of merchandise with every transaction over £30 at TV & Movie Store
- 10% off your food bill at the Blue Bell
- 25% off all items on the brunch menu at The Philharmonic. Available between 10am – 1pm.
- Buy one get one free on large fruit tea (including one topping) and selected snacks at Bubble CiTea, plus 20% off on selected merch in-store
- 10% off all full-priced items at Damaged Society if you quote ‘Arcades’ at the till
- 20% off all full-priced jewellery and 10% off all full-priced watches at Ernest Jones – quote ‘City of Arcades Day’ at the till
- 20x goodie bags containing samples and free gifts at The Perfume Shop, while stocks last